Tuesday, January 18, 2011

What Are We Doing?

I have always approached teaching as enabling my student to achieve his potential.  Whatever I am teaching each day is only a tiny piece of the puzzle of the conventions of how we read and write or calculate that will enable him or her to acquire knowledge and affect the world.  And I know that I have achieved that because a few former students have told me so.

One of my students is my son who is carrying on a conversation with me and with the world on Facebook.    He is very concerned about the state of education and about democracy and about the state of the world.  Recently he shared these TED lectures that I want to share with you.


Ali Carr-Chellman: Gaming to re-engage boys in learning

At TEDxPSU, Ali Carr-Chellman pinpoints three reasons boys are tuning out of school in droves, and lays out her bold plan to re-engage them: bringing their culture into the classroom, with new rules that let boys be boys, and video games that teach as well as entertain.

No comments:

Post a Comment