Wednesday, September 29, 2010

#PLENK2010 Showing up in person

#PLENK2010 In schooling, they say, most of your marks come from just showing up.  I really enjoyed my first SL meeting after today's Ellumination.  We had some discussion of the lesson and some discussion of communications around the world.  I was very pleased to be greeted by someone who knew me, and to meet new people. It was a bit disconcerting to hear different names from the ones written above our avatars, but I soon caught on.  I had attended the room, last night, just to get the feel of the place and to practise sitting down and standing up.  I had wondered if we would have to sit on the floor, but there enough chairs.  In fact a chair appeared to accommodate each new visitor.
    I once had a similar experience in another venue.  I had to produce an audio-report.  My topic was "What does it mean to be a man?"  I invited a group of students from my class, both men and women, and we sat around the tape-recorder and talked about being a man.  I served some really simple snacks: tea, coffee, munchies of some sort.  After the discussion, one of the women said, "This was the best party I have ever been to."  I certainly had never thought of it being a party, but the comment certainly speaks to the effect of food on group dynamics.
   We have found here, that offering to feed people encourages them to attend meetings or lectures.  If you feed them, they will come.  SL does not appear to be about eating, but the "feeling" of being there was certainly attractive.

1 comment:

  1. Hi :-) I was also sat round the table during the session - although I had to dash off afterwards - and I too went to the room the day before to rehearse; I didn't learn to sit down until the next day though, when I got to engage in a bit of 'peer learning'. It certainly added an extra dimension to the session, knowing I was virtually sat round a table with a handful of the people whose names were appearing in the Elluminate chat. I was impressed with the sound quality of the conversation through SL as well, and I'll definitely hang around to chat afterwards next time! See you there...

    (SL name Elise Piaggio)

    ReplyDelete